The difference between krill oil and fish oil

The major difference between krill oil and fish oil has to do with the form of Omega-3s you will find in each. The form of Omega-3 matters because it can impact both your experience taking the supplement and its effectiveness. Krill oil is superior to fish oil because krill oil delivers Omega-3s in their most natural form, called phospholipids (pronounced FOS-PHO-LIP-ID). Phospholipids enable superior Omega-3 absorption and easier digestion for no fishy aftertaste. Generally speaking, about 60% of the Omega-3s in krill oil will be bound to phospholipids, while the remaining 40% are bound to triglycerides. This mix is similar to what you in fatty fish like salmon, which are considered the best food source of Omega-3s.

Interestingly, fish oil Omega-3 supplements do not have phospholipids even though they are found in real fish. That's because fish oil loses phospholipids when heat is applied during processing. That means fish oil supplements only supply Omega-3s by way of triglycerides. On their own, triglyceride bound Omega-3s are neither digested nor dispersed as efficiently as Omega-3s delivered by phospholipids. That’s because triglycerides are made of water-hating compounds which don’t work as well with our water-friendly digestive systems. Because triglycerides do not disperse in our stomach fluids, fish oil can form a separate top layer in our stomachs causing reflux into the food pipe and ultimately fishy burps and discomfort. "Burp-less" fish oil pills try to mitigate this with an enteric coating and/or the addition of oils like mint or lemon to mask the flavor, but they still lack phospholipids. In contrast, phospholipids naturally found in krill oil help it disperse more easily in our digestive system fluids so there is no fishy aftertaste. See the difference for yourself with this video.

Some of our organs require Omega-3s to be delivered in phospholipid form. For example, phospholipids are the major form of Omega-3 DHA that is transported to the brain and eyes.

In addition to phospholipids, a pure Antarctic krill oil like Kori Krill Oil also has other nutrients you won't find in a fish oil. Krill oil is a good source of choline, an essential nutrient that supports brain and nervous system health, and it has astaxanthin, an antioxidant that gives krill oil its natural red color.*

Krill oil supplements may also be preferred by people who have trouble swallowing large pills and are looking for an Omega-3 source in a small, easy to swallow softgel. To make smaller “mini” fish oil alternatives, fish oil pill manufacturers use a highly-processed concentrated form of fish oil called an ethyl ester that is less effective in increasing the Omega-3 index because they may be inefficiently absorbed when taken without a fatty meal. Kori Krill Oil is a pure Antarctic krill oil and will never contain any added ethyl esters. Kori is available in easy to swallow small sizes and mini sizes.

Learn more about what makes Kori Krill Oil a superior Omega-3 source.

Phospholipids in Kori Krill Oil support superior Omega-3 absorption vs fish oil and no fishy aftertaste.

Which Kori Krill Oil is right for me?

Kori Krill Oil has superior Omega-3 absorption vs fish oil, no fishy aftertaste and is certified sustainable. Choose the size that is most comfortable and convenient for you.

1200mg Almond 1
Standard 1200 mg
1 per day
Learn More
I prefer fewer, larger softgels I prefer more, smaller softgels
600mg Almond 1
Small 600 mg
2 per day
Learn More
I prefer more, smaller softgels I prefer more, even smaller softgels
400mg Almond 1
Mini 400 mg
3 per day
Learn More